Before you can use CKAN on your own computer, you need to install it. There are three ways to install CKAN:
- Install from an operating system package
- Install from source
- Install using a Docker image
From package is the quickest and easiest way to install CKAN, but it requires Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit. You should install CKAN from package if:
- You want to install CKAN on an Ubuntu 12.04, 64-bit server, and
- You only want to run one CKAN website per server
See Installing CKAN from package.
You should install CKAN from source if:
- You want to install CKAN on a 32-bit computer, or
- You want to install CKAN on a different version of Ubuntu, not 12.04, or
- You want to install CKAN on another operating system (eg. RedHat, CentOS, OS X), or
- You want to run multiple CKAN websites on the same server, or
- You want to install CKAN for development
See Installing CKAN from source.
You should install using Docker if:
- You want to deploy CKAN on any server that can run Docker, regardless of operating system
- You want a deployment mechanism that remains the same as you move from vanilla CKAN to a heavily customised deployment
See Installing CKAN using a Docker image.
If you’ve already setup a CKAN website and want to upgrade it to a newer version of CKAN, see Upgrading CKAN.