Welcome to CKAN’s documentation! These docs are organized into several guides, each guide serves a different audience of CKAN users or contributors:
- User guide
- The guide for people who will be using a CKAN site through its web interface, explains how to use the web interface and its features.
- Sysadmin guide
- The guide for people with a sysadmin account on a CKAN site, explains how to use the sysadmin features of the CKAN web interface.
- Maintainer’s guide
- The guide for people who will be maintaining a CKAN site, explains how to install, upgrade and configure CKAN and its features and extensions.
- API guide
- The guide for API developers, explains how to write code that interacts with CKAN sites and their data.
- Extending guide
- The guide for extension developers, explains how to customize and extend CKAN’s features.
- Theming guide
- The guide for theme developers, explains how to customize the appearance and content of CKAN’s web interface.
- Contributing guide
- The guide for people who want to contribute to CKAN itself, explains how to make all kinds of contributions to CKAN, including reporting bugs, testing and QA, translating CKAN, helping with CKAN’s documentation, and contributing to the CKAN code.
Finally, the Changelog documents the differences between CKAN releases, useful information for anyone who is using CKAN.
These docs are maintained by the CKAN development team. CKAN and its documentation are free and open source, and contributions are welcome. To contribute to these docs, see Writing documentation.